To assist the principal investigator to oversee an ongoing study examining the policy and implementation of HIV prevention through private retail pharmacies in Kenya. This is a mixed methods study including in-depth interviews with policymakers and implementers, provider questionnaires, and simulated client surveys at selected pharmacies in Nairobi, Mombasa, and Kisumu counties. The position requires competency in quantitative and qualitative methods, experience in research, and some knowledge of health systems would be useful.
REPORTS TO: Study PI
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: None
INDIRECTLY SUPERVISES: None
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY: None
The primary responsibility will be to assist in the implementation and write up of a research project entitled “Examining the policy and implementation of HIV prevention through private retail pharmacies in Kenya”.
The post holder will:
- Work with the principal investigator to execute an approved protocol on examining the policy and implementation of HIV prevention through private retail pharmacies in Kenya
- Conduct a review of relevant literature on pharmacy delivery of health promotive and disease screening and preventative interventions
- Develop qualitative and quantitative data collection tools
- Oversee the data collection for qualitative and quantitative data
- Supervise Field workers during the period of data collection
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data
- Prepare and submit research papers for publication as required.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy or Nursing
- Skills in quantitative and qualitative data analysis using Stata, R, Nvivo or equivalent software
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications.
- Applicants should have interest and ideally experience in the Kenyan health system and the private pharmacy sector
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Good writing skills
- Good presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills a meticulous approach to documentation (including word processing and spreadsheet skills)
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work with limited supervision and meet deadlines
- Office based
- Field work in selected counties
- Willingness to travel throughout the country
- Requires flexibility in the hours worked, with the priority being meeting the team’s research goals
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: "Apply for this job".
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 9th April 2020.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).