The main purpose of the job is to be responsible for ensuring data quality, completeness and develop scripts to enable interpretation of culture results from the laboratory for everyday clinical use
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsibility for ICT hardware and software.
We are conducting a surveillance study on Neonatal Bacteraemia (NeoBAC) being implemented in county hospitals in Kenya, that aims to determine the prevalence bacteraemia amongst neonates at admission to hospital. The job will involve use of databases and other data applications for data verification and feedback to the hospitals as well as developing scripts to produce lab reports that can guide care of patients.
The post holder will have a high level of responsibility for ensuring data quality, data storage and security, and thus the integrity of the results together with developing and updating relevant scripts.
The post holder will work on clinical data from the hospitals involved and link it together with laboratory data generated from blood culture testing; and also report results back to the hospitals. The post holder should be able to work unsupervised, often with a variable timescale. The post is mentally demanding, involving a high level of communication with sites as well as technical ability demonstrated in the use of statistical software.
- Manage tools for collecting, entering, editing, cleaning, organizing, and archiving data.
- Carry out data review, validation including discrepancy checking, and cleaning.
- Manage data entry staff (permanent or casual) in collaboration with administration and PIs and monitor performance.
- Design database for capturing, reporting, and storing data, as well as manage database users.
- Prepare performance indicator reports on data status as study project progress.
- Co-ordinate data for all study sites projects and develop a reporting dashboard for data visualization.
- Conduct preliminary analysis and generate study progress reports.
- Participate in the development, review and translation of research tools;
- Participate in the pre-testing of data collection platforms.
- Data cleaning including doing all required consistency checks for project data;
- Document project data sets according to the Center’s guidelines on data documentation, archiving and sharing;
- Extract data and prepare analytical files.
- Generate weekly, monthly and ad hoc reports.
- Develop template syntax files for research staff to use in creating various data sets;
- Perform basic and advanced statistical analysis of data using tools such as STATA, Python, and R.
- Regular visit to hospital sites and the lab to verify source data.
- Assist in training other staff members on data analysis.
- A degree in Data Management, Statistics, Mathematics or Computer Sciences or Information Technology or related qualification.
- At least 2 years’ experience as a Data Manager in clinical research studies
- Experience in Data Management for Clinical Research or trials involving handling of laboratory data.
- Understanding of relational database design, implementation and verification.
- Training and/or experience in data management.
- Statistics experience with Redcap, Stata, Python, or R.
- Knowledge of MySQL, PostgreSQL, or MSSQL
- Excellent knowledge of database design and data modelling
- Excellent skills in data manipulation and statistical analysis
- Knowledge of software development methodologies
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong organization skills with the ability to prioritize and work within tight deadlines
- Flexibility, adaptability, ability to multi-task
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Conscientiousness, timeliness and willingness to work to meet deadlines
- Based at the KEMRI/Wellcome Trust Research Programme in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Be available to work out of hours if necessary.
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: "Apply for this job".
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 2ND APRIL 2020
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).