This is a senior level position. Initiates Enterprise system development practices within the programme. Influences industry-based models for the development of new and existing applications. Develops effective implementation and maintenance plans which are consistent with the Programme’s needs.This key leadership role is responsible for managing and coordinating the resources and processes to deliver software releases of KEMRI Wellcome Trust Programme Projects, while helping to define the strategy for the development team by driving project initiatives that deliver on the Programme's vision. This role will therefore manage and lead the IT Development Team.
- The individual will work closely with the Projects Manager, Infrastructure Manager, Service Delivery Manager and under direction of the Head of IT, to achieve a unified service delivery goal for IT.
- The candidate works with the IT project Manager to coordinate software development projects and make critical decisions on prioritization, allocation of resources and project cost implications i.e. advises PI’s on budgetary requirements for Data Management requirements.
- Management and Leadership of the IT Software development team while working closely with the Project Manager to plan and execute Programme’s development projects, ensure that teams have appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver products effectively by establishing realistic estimates for timelines while ensuring that projects remain on target to meet deadlines.
- Performing business analysis on new requirements for systems within the programme and advises users on effective solution to meet their needs.
- Liaison between the development team and the users and owners of the data applications within the programme.
- Manage performance of the IT Software development team.
- Review change control process, incident and event management for software developed in the environment
- Evaluate service requirements and design service level agreements to meet client expectations
- Provides specialist expertise in the development, use or operation of database management system tools and facilities.
- Provides expert knowledge in the selection, provision and use of database architectures, software and facilities, typically taking responsibility for a team of technical staff.
- Sets local or team-based standards for programming tools and techniques, advises on their application and ensures compliance.
- Responsible for all technical stages in software development processes and all enterprise applications developed in-house.
- Advises systems development teams and oversees preparation of project and quality plans.
- Liases with Programme leads to plan and execute projects.
- Manage and oversee the administration of Programme databases and their environments, ensuring highest standards of availability, resilience, integrity, security and performance.
- Manage, plan and coordinate the design and implementation of research systems using the existing enterprise applications based on study protocols.
- Developing product development processes and framework including coding standards, technical documentation standards, QA processes, build, and configuration management. Ensure that such practices are followed
- Influence policy making process and develops standard operating procedures for software development environment.
- Maintaining awareness and knowledge of relevant existing and emerging technologies and the impact these technologies have on projects.
- A Masters & a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or IT
- Have a minimum of 8 - 10 years with at least 4 of which is in management/ leadership position in software development.
- Previous experience as a Database Administrator I or Application Developer I or equivalent.
- Be experienced in solving complex and large-scale software problems.
- Have extensive knowledge in PHP, MySQL and related Open Source Technologies.
- Have experience of the full software development lifecycle; from business / systems analysis, through requirements gathering and functional specification authoring, to development, QA and delivery is essential.
- A record of successful delivery of software systems as an individual, team leader and or/development manager.
- Have excellent people skills.
- Ability to excite and motivate employees with a compelling vision.
- Have strong communications skills, both in writing and speaking.
- Have strong understanding of the software development cycle
- MCSD, Certified Scrum Professional, Project Management Professional, ITIL, COBIT (Must give evidence of the exam certificate done by an authorised testing body, i.e. Pearson VUE, Prometric, etc.)
- Expert knowledge or certification in Data Science will be an added advantage
- Experience of working in a research establishment
- Knowledge on working within an AGILE, ITIL, Prince II or PMP Framework
- Have project management experience desired
- Have enterprise application development experience.
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: "Apply for this job".
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 24 May, 2019.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).