To provide statistical support for ongoing studies in the Epidemiology and Demography Department (EDD).
- Head of Surveillance
The KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) based in Kilifi, Kenya, conducts high quality research focussing on diseases that present a significant burden on low and middle-income countries. KWTRP is a partnership between the Kenya Medical Research Institute, the Wellcome Trust and the University of Oxford, and a world-renowned health research unit. KWTRP works with scientists, health services and local communities to achieve better health, while developing local scientific leadership and infrastructure.
With 200 staff, 15-20 active research grants with a combined value in excess of £10m, the Epidemiology and Demography Department (EDD) is the largest department at KWTRP. EDD conducts multidisciplinary studies in three areas: Invasive Bacterial Diseases, Virus Epidemiology and Control, and Human Genetic Factors. EDD is also home to the Kilifi Health and Demographic Surveillance System (KHDSS), a pioneer in the integration of field, hospital and laboratory surveillance data. Working predominantly in Kenya, EDD collaborates with partners in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda, Europe and the USA.
Data from the KHDSS data has been used to define incidence of hospital presentation childhood infectious diseases childhood infectious diseases (e.g. rotavirus diarrhoea, pneumococcal disease), to test the association between genetic risk factors (e.g. thalassaemia and sickle cell disease) and infectious diseases, to define the community prevalence of chronic diseases (e.g. epilepsy), to evaluate access to health care and to calculate the operational effectiveness of major public health interventions e.g. vaccines. A published account of how the DSS has been set up and operates is available online (DOI: 10.1093/ije/dys062)
The Statistician will join a thriving group of statisticians and data managers in EDD (and will also participate in activities with the Programme Statistics and Data Management group).
- Developing data management and analysis plans
- Providing advice on sample size considerations and calculations.
- Providing advice on developing systems and tools for collecting, entering, editing, cleaning, storing, archiving, data for new and existing epidemiological studies.
- Analysis of data from the Kilifi Health and Demographic Surveillance System (KHDSS)
- Liaising with other statisticians, data managers, data supervisors and software developers to ensure high quality standards of data.
- Performing and presenting analysis on mortality, morbidity and intervention studies. This includes analyses of demographic levels,trends and transitions using data from the KHDSS.
- Interpreting and discussing study results with colleagues and collaborators and presenting them in departmental quarterly meetings, conferences and scientific publications.
- Scheduling and preparing progress reports and/or analyses for department and programme commitees e.g. quarterly reports of census outcomes.
- Ensuring deadlines and project milestones relating to data and analyses are met, coordinating with other members of staff and external collaborators as necessary
- Preparing and depositing research data and documentation for curation and archiving
- Degree in Mathematics or Statistics or relevant field
- Three (3) years experience in data anlysis, preferably in research setup
- Practical knowledge of STATA and R
- Proficiency in statistical and data management procedures (data cleaning, manipulation, summarization, tables, listings, graphics, and presentations) and report generation.
- Excellent computer skills with intermediate practical knowledge of SQL-compliant DBMS (preferably MySQL), OpenClinica and REDCap database systems.
- Good analytical ability, planning and organisational skills
- Proficiency in longitudinal data analysis methods is an added advantage
- Attentive to detail with the capacity to work with/ follow laid down processes and procedures
- Ability to work independently/ with minimum supervision and within stipulated deadlines and schedules
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Team work and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Giving succinct oral presentations - communicating ideas and methods clearly by email, verbally, on the phone and presentations.
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: "Apply for this job".
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 3 April, 2020.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).