Clinical Elective Program for Medical Students
Thank you for your interest in a medical elective at the KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme in Kilifi.
We accept medical students in their 4th or 5th year of study for electives of between 6 to 10 weeks. In general, we only take students who have already had some experience of clinical paediatrics (though we make exceptions for individuals with other experience coming to do a specific laboratory or field based project). The Unit offers excellent experience of clinical paediatrics and a wide exposure to research in a developing world setting.
Please fill out the attached Application Form for our electives program. Ensure that you have included the dates that you are interested in coming for your elective.application at least 6 months before you hope to start your elective if you are applying from an overseas university, and 3 months before your elective period for students from East African/regional universities.
Applications are dealt with on a first come first served basis, and submission of a completed application package does not guarantee you a place, as elective placements in Kilifi are quite competitive.
A COMPLETE application must include:
- A completed application form OR fill in an online application form
- A short statement outlining why you would like to spend your elective in Kilifi and how the experience will be of benefit to you.
- A letter of recommendation from the Dean's Office of your Medical School stating that you are a student in good standing at the school and that you have permission to take this elective.
- A copy of your curriculum vitae.
- A copy of your passport/East African national identity card.
- Good quality passport photograph.
Please return your completed application, and also address any further enquiries that you may have to the following address: email@example.com If applying online, please have electronic copies of the associated documents available for upload.
Once again, thank you for your interest in an elective in Kilifi, and we look forward to receiving your application.
Dr Neema Mturi, Medical Electives Coordinator.