KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is one of the leading research centres in Africa. The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill health in Africa. We are seeking to appoint an early postdoctoral researcher with a PhD completed in the field of bioinformatics or molecular biology to work in the Biosciences department. The successful candidate will be part of a research team seeking to understand HIV B-cell biology to inform HIV vaccine development. The candidate will be involved in bioinformatics analysis of HIV-antigen specific immunoglobulin gene usage and naïve B cell repertoires mainly in African populations. The incumbent will also provide bioinformatics support for other ongoing immunological work within the group. He/she will require solid knowledge of bioinformatics, be able to write and execute code and develop custom analysis suites for the project. Additional knowledge in molecular biology techniques will be an added advantage. This work is part of a five-year collaborative programme with the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (2022 - 2026).
- Principal Investigator
- Assistant Research Officers (Train and co-supervise)
The incumbent will largely be involved in bioinformatics analysis of sequence data generated from immunoglobulin genes. Ability to perform basic molecular biology techniques to generate the libraries will be an added advantage. The job is based at KWTRP in Kilifi, Kenya
The staff will be responsible for a laptop, data storage and together with the PI, manage budget allocated for bioinformatics analysis.
- Supporting the research team in bioinformatics analysis and interpretation of large sequencing data sets generated on diverse platforms (NextSeq,MiSeq and NovaSeq).
- Co-ordinating data transfer and analysis with collaborators
- Technology transfer from collaborating laboratories.
- Training and supervision of AROs and interns
- Designing exploratory analysis approaches and bioinformatics pipelines.
- Perform basic molecular biology procedures to generate sequencing libraries.
- Presenting of project results at different forums, locally and internationally.
- Contribute to the writing of scientific manuscripts
- Ensuring that all work done complies with the applicable regulations concerning biohazards, data privacy, Good Clinical and Laboratory Practice and maintain all documentation.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- A Ph.D. in bioinformatics, data science or molecular biology with a very strong understanding of bioinformatics and computational analysis.
- Proficiency in programming in Python and software development stacks
- Proficiency with the Pandas Data Library and Jupiter Software Ecosystem
- Up to 4 years postdoctoral experience
- Experience in analysing large next-generation sequencing data.
- Experience in using various analytical packages such as STATA and R
- Keen on research
- Demonstrated high levels of confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal, written, presentation and communication skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong Management, leadership and decision-making skills,
- Ability to build strong and diverse effective teams, delegation and team motivation
- Ability to build productive and collaborative relationships with varied stakeholders
- Based at the KEMRI/Wellcome Trust Research Programme in Kilifi, Kenya but be flexible to travel to other partner or collaborating institutions.
- Be available to work out of hours if necessary.
- Exposure to materials considered infectious and/or biohazards.
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: "Apply for this job".
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 18 November, 2022.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).