The position holder will work on the NIH-supported ‘Tambua Mapema Plus’ trial evaluating the impact of a novel screening programme to detect prevalent and acute HIV infection in adult patients and their partners seeking urgent care at 6 health facilities in Mtwapa and Shanzu. HIV-infected participants and their infected partners will be enrolled in an immediate treatment cohort at KEMRI-Mtwapa. Any identified HIV-negative partner will be enrolled in a PrEP cohort at KEMRI-Mtwapa. Field data collections will run for 2-years. The candidate will join a dynamic team that conducts different clinical epidemiology studies with key populations at the KEMRI clinic in Mtwapa.
- The post reports to the project manager.
The position holder will spend 100% of their time at one of the six health facilities, and will make home visits to HIV-infected study participants.
- To conduct data collection, including observation of standard of care, and provision of the screening intervention.
- To screen for study eligibility, consent and enrol willing eligible adult study participants, and document reasons for refusals where applicable
- To carry out pre- and post-test HIV counselling services
- To offer assisted-partner notification services to HIV-infected participants
- To carry out data entry
- To make home visits.
- To adhere to standard operating procedures/ study specific procedures.
- Diploma in counselling, community development or equivalent.
- At least two years experience in counselling
- Qualified in HIV testing and counselling services (HTS)
SKILLS AND COMPETECIES:
- An experienced counsellor with documented experience in research
- Experienced in HIV testing and counselling, and NASCOP certified (desirable)
- Able to work independently, to prioritise work, and to give attention to detail
- A good communicator and team player
- Good listening skills, sensitivity and empathy
- Confidentiality, integrity, patience and calm disposition
- Good record keeping and basic report writing skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: "Apply for this job".
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 14 March, 2018.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).